Seattle Coffeehouse Live! – a virtual CD of performers recorded at the Wayward Coffeehouse (and a few at the Couth Buzzard) in 2009-2010.
SEATTLE COFFEEHOUSE LIVE!
In March, 2008, the Pacific NW Folklore Society began a monthly series of Coffeehouse Concerts. Starting at the Kaffee Shachor in Green Lake, and then the Library Cafe on Crown Hill, we moved to the Wayward Coffeehouse in Greenwood from October, 2008 through April, 2010. In May, 2010 we moved to Couth Buzzard Books/Espresso Buono, also in Greenwood, for our concerts every 2nd Friday of the month. All tracks on this CD were recorded live at the Wayward Coffeehouse, except # 7, 16 at Couth Buzzard Books. (cover photo, Wayward Coffeehouse)
Play all tracks (streaming mp3 files). Pull up a comfortable chair, turn the lights down low, relax with a cup of coffee, glass of wine or a beer, close your eyes, imagine you’re in your favorite coffeehouse, and enjoy this 70 min. concert.
1. Barbara Allen (Trad.) (5:26) Ginny Reilly 6/12/09. Ginny is half of Reilly & Maloney, one of Seattle’s favorite folk duos. PLAY DOWNLOAD
2. I Won’t Bleed (Alice Stuart) Alice Stuart 1/9/09. Began her singing career in Seattle coffeehouses in the ‘60s. Favorite Seattle blues musician with her band The Formerlys. PLAY DOWNLOAD
3. Leaving Home (Charlie Poole) (4:27) Down The Road 10/9/09. A trio of bluegrass musicians (Cathi and Gary Davidson, guitars and vocals, and John Tubbs, mandolin and vocals) from the towns of North Bend and Snoqualmie, east of Seattle. PLAY DOWNLOAD
4. Cowboys on the Skyline (JW McClure) (3:47) JW McClure 2/12/10. JW, a veteran of the ‘60s coffeehouses, from Snohomish Co. JW, guitar, vocal; Thaddeus Spae, guitarron. PLAY DOWNLOAD
5. Ain’t Got No Home (Woody Guthrie) (2:46) Smalltime String Band 1/8/10. A Seattle family band made up of Oliver (12, fiddle, vocal), Eli (8, banjo), Mom (guitar) and Dad (fiddle). PLAY DOWNLOAD
6. Whiskey and Wine (Charlie Beck) (3:30) Squirrel Butter 1/8/10. Charlie Beck (fiddle, vocal) & Charmaine Li-Lei Slaven (guitar), also part of Tall Boys, Seattle’s favorite old-time band. PLAY DOWNLOAD
7. Franklin D. Roosevelt Back Again (Anon.) (3:25) Jerry Middaugh & Orville Murphy 7/9/10, at Couth Buzard. From Seattle and Kirkland, WA, singing together for several years. Jerry, lead vocal, guitar; Orville, harmonica, vocal). PLAY DOWNLOAD
8. Old Crow Blues (Eliza Manoff) (3:05) Eliza Manoff 8/14/09. Talented finger-style guitar player, songwriter and singer from Everett. PLAY DOWNLOAD
9. ‘Till the Elephant Sings (Eliza Manoff) (3:46) Eliza Manoff & Kim Ruehl 8/14/09. Kim is a freelance music writer and Seattle musician. Kim, lead vocal; Eliza, guitar, vocal. PLAY DOWNLOAD
10. Lady Julianna (Val James) (5:29) Val & Mike James 4/10/09. From Port Townsend, singing together for over 20 years – folk to jazz and blues. Val, vocal, guitar; Mike, guitar. PLAY DOWNLOAD
11. Wiki Waki Shack (Michael Guthrie) (3:00) Michael Guthrie 2/13/09. Talented multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter from Seattle. PLAY DOWNLOAD
12. Marmaduke’s Hornpipe (Trad.) (2:23) Sarah Comer 3/13/09. Award-winning (WA Old Time Fiddlers) traditional fiddler from Pierce Co., WA. Emmett Comer, guitar. PLAY DOWNLOAD
13. Foolish Questions (additional verses, Greg Canote) (4:30) Canote Brothers 5/8/09. Greg (lead vocal) and Jere Canote (guitar, vocal), Seattle’s favorite old-time music duo. PLAY DOWNLOAD
14. Thing That Fell Off The Kettle (Dan Carollo) (3:56) Dan Carollo 7/10/09. Talented Seattle finger-style Celtic guitar player. PLAY DOWNLOAD
15. The Conversation (Carolyn Cruso) (4:51) Carolyn Cruso 4/9/10. From Orcas Island, a talented multi-instrumentalist, composer, singer and songwriter. PLAY DOWNLOAD
16. Don’t Say Goodbye (Jillian Graham) (3:48) Jillian Graham 6/11/10 at the Couth Buzzard Bookstore. Seattle singer, songwriter. Jillian, guitar, vocal; Jim Graham, upright bass. PLAY DOWNLOAD
17. Blue Water Run Down (Hank Payne) (4:16) Hank Payne & Claire Favro 12/11/09. Seattle duo – ”beautiful harmonies with entangled guitar accompaniments.” PLAY DOWNLOAD
18. What Else Can We Do? (Carolyn Cruso) (3:15) Carolyn Cruso 4/9/10. PLAY DOWNLOAD
© Pacific Northwest Folklore Society, Seattle, WA, 2010.
This CD is free to listen to or download. If you’ve enjoyed this, consider making a donation to the Pacific Northwest Folklore Society. Thanks.